Verse

The Lord has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy. Psalms 126:3

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Pure Sweetness

Some days when I pick June Anne up from school after work, she is so exhausted from playing that she falls asleep in the car on the way home. When I get her home, I always have to decide whether to wake her up and keep her evening schedule or whether to let her nap. And if I let her nap, do I hold her or put her down? Today was one of those days. She's sleeping. And I'm holding her. Just because I can. I've got a million and one things to do tonight as I'm working extra this week outside of the home. But, they can wait....

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

- Ruth Hulbert Hamilton



No comments:

Post a Comment